MACKINTOSH BURN LIMITED, a contractor of numerous architectural marvels and structural masterpieces, whose journey in Building a New Heritage began in the 19th century and continues till today. The emergence of Mackintosh Burn Limited is integrally weaved with the history of Kolkata. Mackintosh Burn Limited is an architectural, engineering and construction company. It is a reputed name in the construction sector of the country especially in the Eastern part of India. For the last two centuries, the Company with its commitment and conviction for quest of excellence in architecture and civil construction has continued to add jewels to its crown of creations. Keeping abreast of development and trends in design, architecture and construction techniques, a dedicated team of engineers, technicians and workers at all levels, continues to work hard to meet the emerging challenges and ensure fullest satisfaction of the clients, without compromising quality. The Company is having other divisions namely Ready Mix Concrete Division, Workshop Division, Sophisticated & Modern Laboratory, Surveying, Supervision and Consultancy Works.
The firm Mackintosh Burn & Company was established in 1834 by Mr. James Mackintosh. He was a native of Sctotland, who came to India in the early 20’s of the nineteeth century and joined the firm ‘Burn & Co.’ (established in 1781) as a partner. Shortly after his retirement from the said firm, he was established a firm styled “Mackintosh Burn & Co.” with James Mackintosh Jr. and Wiliam Mackintosh as partners. On 29th April, 1913 it was incorporated as a limited Company by shares to purchase, acquire and take over as a growing concern the business carried on under the name and style, Mackintosh Burn & Co., Messrs J. Stuart McDonald, R. Anderson and A. Hope, the then partners of the firm became the first directors of the company.
In May 1922, the Company was placed under the Managing Agent, Gillander Arbuthnot & Co. Ltd. who partially acquired 25% of shares in Mackintosh Burn Ltd. Later, the Company became a wholly owned subsidiary of Gillander Arbuthnot & Co. Ltd. After the enactment of the Companies Act, 1956, the Company became a Private Limited Company from April, 1956. However, after enforcement of the Companies Amendment Act, 1960, the Company became a deemed Public Company. After abolition of provisions relating to the
“ Deemed Public Company” from the Companies Act, 1956, it was converted into a Public Company on 27th September, 2002.
After abolition of Managing Agency System in 1960 under the Companies Act, 1956, the Company suffered a set-back and fell into deep red. Its, owner, Gillander Arbuthnot & Co. Ltd. wanted to close down the business of Mackintosh Burn Limited and filed a voluntary winding up Petition in the High Court at Calcutta in 1968. Then the Government of West Bengal came forward for its rescue. The Government of West Bengal acquired 25% of shares in the Company at a token price of Rs. 2 for the lot on 9th June, 1971.
A reconstruction scheme was taken up, when Industrial Reconstruction Corporation of India (IRCI; which was later known as Industrial Reconstruction Bank of India and then as Industrial Investment Bank of India) provided a reconstruction loan of Rs. 26.30 lakh. Allahabad Bank provided need based working capital. The Company was granted by the Government of West Bengal ‘Relief Undertaking’ status in November, 1971, which was extended from time to time till November, 1991.
During the initial period, when the Company had been incurring losses, the Government of West Bengal provided loans to meet cash losses. The Government also deputed engineers from Public Works Department to the Company to take up assignment of senior positions. Sri Santosh Kumar Chanda had been on deputation to the Company as Managing Director from March 1978 to May 1986. During his tenure, the Company started to turn the corner and gradually could stand on its own feet. The shareholding of the Government was increased to 49% by way of conversion of a part of outstanding loans at the behest of the then Chief Minister, West Bengal, Sri Jyoti Basu in June 1995, when Sri Sadhan Kumar Niyogi, Chief Engineer, PWD, Govt. of West Bengal was Managing Director of the Company.
Sri Nilmani Dhar, Superintending Engineer, PWD joined the Company as Managing Director in May, 1999 on deputation from the Government of West Bengal. Immediately after joining, he gave a clarion call for growth and infused energy into the organization. During 2000-01, the Company crossed the milestone of Rs. 100 crore in turnover. For the first time in post-reconstruction period, it declared a dividend which continued uninterruptedly thereafter.
The company has now become a Government controlled entity after Government of West Bengal has acquired additional 2.5% stake in the Company from Mackintosh Burn Co-operative Credit Society Ltd. (MBCCSL) on December 2, 2010 thereby raising its stake in the company to 51%.